Peter Wentz Farmstead Society Title
Welcome
Calendar of Events
Farmstead History
News and Photos
Museum Shop
Hours and Directions
Become a Member
Gamon Scholarship
Trips
Links
Farmstead History

The Peter Wentz Farmstead was established in 1744 by Peter and Rosanna Wentz. By 1758 they had completed the large, Georgian-style stone house with many architectural features that reflected their German heritage, including interior paint decoration throughout.

The Wentz Farm served as headquarters for General George Washington during the fall of 1777.
 

Farmstead Drawing
Drawing by Rick Moraux

While here, General Washington planned his attempt to keep the British forces from occupying Philadelphia, which resulted in the Battle of Germantown on October 4th. It was also here on October 18th that the news of Burgoyne's surrender to General Gates at Saratoga was received and celebrated. According to tradition, a salute was fired so close to the house, the glass in a number of windows was shattered.

In 1794, Melchior Schultz, a minister of the Schwenkfelder faith, purchased the farm and his descendants continued to live and farm here until 1969, when it was purchased by the County of Montgomery.

The site has been restored and the house furnished to reflect its appearance at the time of the American Revolution. The Wentz Farmstead is surrounded by 90 plus acres that are managed as an eighteenth century working farmstead. A reconstructed barn houses farm animals that are typical of the period. There are gardens, orchards, and fields cultivated as they would have been in the period.

Special events and exhibits representing the Pennsylvania German culture and early American farm life take place throughout the year.


FOR INFORMATION ON PROGRAMS, SITE VISITS, OR RESEARCH, PLEASE CONTACT THE SITE STAFF AT peterwentzfarmstead@montcopa.org or
telephone: 610.584.5104
e-mail: mail@PeterWentzFarmsteadSociety.org
Copyright 2005
www.PeterWentzFarmsteadSociety.org